We get a lot of interesting questions about lawns and grass types. These are some of the most common grasses for our area:
Why seed a tall fescue lawn with bluegrass?
- More efficient with water than fescue
- Resistant to most of the diseases of tall fescue such as brown patch
- Spreads to fill in the bare spots left in a fescue-only lawn
Why seed a bluegrass lawn with tall fescue?
- Though less efficient, better at extracting water from the soil
- Deeper color in the summer
- Resists some of the diseases common to bluegrass
- More successful in shade because of its ease of establishment
What are the advantages and disadvantages of perennial ryegrass?
- Greens up earliest in the spring
- Darker green than other grasses
- Performs poorly in hot weather
- Cannot spread
- Mixes poorly with other grass types
How can I tell what kind of grass I have?
- Tall fescue: the sides of the blades have saw-tooth edges
- Bluegrass: underside of the blade has two tiny grooves in the leaf on either side of the main vein
How does the environment benefit from my lawn?
- A healthy average lawn of 7,000 sq. ft. can absorb enough carbon dioxide and emit enough oxygen for a family of four.
- A deeply rooted lawn will add thousands of pounds of organic material every year, to build its own topsoil.
- A thick, green lawn absorbs dirt and airborne pollutants.
- It cools the area around your home, saving on utility bills.
- Creates a safer play surface, while beautifying your home.
Why should I choose Martz Bros. Lawn and Tree Care over another service?
- Every Martz Bros. Lawn Technician is state-certified.
- Our technicians attend annual continuing education.
- You have the same technician every visit that gets to know you and your lawn.
- Martz Bros. is a family run business and our customers are part of the family.
If you would like further information about your grass type?or are interested in a free estimate, give us a call at (913)789-9333 or drop us a note ONLINE.